Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MENDICANCY

MENDICANCY- the art of begging, taking advantage of one's pitiful appearance to get something without working for it, pretending to be poverty stricken when they are really not, using rudeness as a tool to claim what they think is their privilege...

I did not look this up in the dictionary...this is my own version of what mendicancy is.

According to an online dictionary, mendicancy means the practice of begging, as for alms or the state or condition of being a beggar.

Just this morning I was angry...riding the bus on the way to work, there was this able bodied person insisting that I accept the piece of paper he was giving out to all the passengers. Already in the bad mood, I pretended that I did not see him.

Not liking my bitchy attitude, he kept on insisting. I had to glare at him so he can get my message of defiance.

After being rejected by the other passengers, he came back to me! He even got the nerve to touch me and still insisted that I buy his overly priced goods!!!

If I was not pregnant, I might have lost my cool and punched him in his face. But I have to teach my child some manners, even if he or she is still in my womb.(sigh!)

After alighting from the bus, another healthy (as in malaki ang katawan) person pestered me with getting me a taxi. I just brushed him off and went to get my own.

As I flagged down a taxi and got in, the jerk came running towards us asking the driver for some money! This time I really lost my cool!

"Ang kapal din naman nang mukha mo ano? Bakit ikaw ba tumawag sa taxing ito? Mahiya ka naman ang laki nang katawan mo hihingi hingi ka lang! Letse!"

Sorry anak, war freak mood talaga nanay mo today...

The point is, why do these people take advantage of virtues such as pity, sympathy, poverty just to get what they want without working for it?

They appeal to our "guilt" because they are poor. They think it is our obligation to give because we have more.

TRUE. We should give to people who needs it, but not to assholes who can still work!!!

I believe in giving to those who are really needy, like the handicapped, to the old and sick, victims of abuse, and children who cannot fend for themselves.

Not to middle-aged men who are stronger than me.

Not to hypocrites who hide behind religion and board buses, preach the word of God then shamelessly ask for donation.

Not to supposedly "out-of-school" youth who board buses and try to defraud you into buying their goods three times as expensive if you buy them in regular stores.

THIS IS REALLY DISTASTEFUL DECEPTION.

I mean, I am six months pregnant yet I work...how come they could not do the same???
These people are not poor, they are lazy. And for that, they do not deserve an ounce of my sympathy.

I have honestly worked for my keep since I was seventeen, and damn I am not gonna let these people take advantage of me.

It's simple, really. If you want to live, work. If you don't work, then you don't eat.
Each and everyone of us has a choice.

If some of us choose mendicancy as a way of life, that is their choice. But they cannot expect us to give because they think it's their freakin right. We work for ours, they should earn theirs by working.

1 comment:

  1. There came the thoughts that I am longing to share with. Very well said. Keep your cool, though. Astig.

    ReplyDelete